Re: Some Pootle testing

On Ma, 2008-06-02 at 18:08 +0200, Christian Perrier wrote:
> Quoting Clytie Siddall (clytie@riverland.net.au):
>
> > Do we actually have Pootle available for translation? :D
>
> As a production system? No.
>
> We need to have working methods to puch thinngs back to maintainers
> (bug reports) and/or their repositories (commits). That still needs to
> happen.

Just as a very quick update for Debian people interested in Pootle
development, but not in reach of our usual news channels:

We are working on finalising development for speeding up statistics (the
Pootle-diet branch). We will need some help in testing this as soon as
we finish this work (hopefully in the next two weeks). This has been one
of the major performance problems in the testing we have done so far
(with the DDTP, for example).

Some code for working with version control systems are already factored
out and improved, and we hope we can get some help of making some
command line tools for scripting proper VCS updates as Pootle does. This
was requested by at least Christian, as I remember.

Our handling of XML formats have been reimplemented with lxml - a fast C
library using libxml2.

A Google Summer of Code project is now looking at replacing our Python
PO parser with one using libgettextpo - a C library from the gettext
project. This should help quite a bit with performance in PO based
projects.

A Google Summer of Code project is now looking at some usability
enhancements, as well as some often requested features, such as being
able to translate from another source language than English.

Felipe is looking at a really proper solution for translation memory as
a university project. This is a longer term project, but we are really
exited about this one.

There might be more missing pieces, but I'm sure that through continued
work we'll get to really solving all the issues. Obviously we always
need the help of people for ideas, testing, feedback and development.

We are really happy to continue our work with Debian people.

Keep well
Friedel