Re: how to handle i18n Description field in debian/control file?

On Sun, May 04, 2008 at 06:53:08PM +0200, Jens Seidel wrote:
> > I wonder what is the way to internationalize "Description: " field
> > in control files (got a warning about both missing Description field
> > and unknown _Description field while build a package when I use
> > the underscore and add it to po-debconf handling).
>
> Have a look at ddtp.debian.net and the links on this page.
>
> There is an e-mail interface to allow you to send new translations.

Well, my goal is not to translate, but to allow translations
of control files "Description" field, as for po-debconf for
debconf.

After further reading of the site you cite, (Thanks!), I found
http://www.debian.org/international/l10n/ddtp page, where they explain
that traductions are contained in Translation-(lang).bz2 files,
currently hosted in http://ftp.fr.debian.org/debian/dists/sid/main/i18n/

It seems lenny's apt downloads that files on demand.

It also seems that these files are not extracted from packages sources
or binaries, in what it breaks habits, and IMHO, is harmfull, especially
when building private repositories, eventually with "private" packages,
as, for example, http://www.debian-multimedia.org/.

So, I wonder if a /debian/controlI10n directory or so, contained in each
source package, will do the job as well as current (future distro) ddtp.

I expect that the two systems have their qualities and drawbacks:
ddtp offers versability for translators, and gives no extra work
to package maintainer.

So, a good way will be to keep the good ddtp system, and giving package
maintainers the ability to incorporate the translations in their
packages, together with an extraction system (maybe a TimeStamp: field
will be usefull, too :).

--
Thomas Harding