Re: When to give up on the "Last Translator" ?

On Tue, Apr 01, 2008 at 07:56:00PM +0100, Neil Williams wrote:
> Is there a script that I've missed that tells me when a translation
> really needs to be switched from default podebconf-report behaviour
> (email Last Translator, wait) to 'podebconf-report --call' ?

I don't think it exists. At least not in po-debconf

> After all, translators can become MIA as easily as anyone else.
>
> e.g. for emdebian-tools, I have lots of translations and I have sent out
> emails for updates but some are, IMHO, unlikely to be updated because I
> haven't had an update for previous calls either.

It could be more visible with markers in the table:

=== 8< ===============================================================

xxx already includes xx.po yy.po zz.po.
So do not translate it to these languages (the translators will be
contacted separately), except for the languages in bracket whose
translator is MIA

language        translated     fuzzy     untranslated
  cs                 8           2             3
  de                 8           2             3
 *nl*                1           3             9
  eu                 8           2             3
  fi                13
  fr                13
  gl                13
 [it]                6           2             5
 [ja]                0           2            11
  pt                13
  pt_BR              8           2             3
  ru                13
 _ml_                1           3             9
  sv                 8           2             3
  ta                 8           2             3
  vi                13

(I've tried above using brackets, ** and __ to check how it looks like in
mail user agents. There could be other ideas to make this more visible.)

> Those translators who have already replied are shown above as having no
> fuzzy or untranslated messages, naturally. Thank you all.
>
> Those translators who have 3 untranslated messages, I am perfectly happy
> to receive those updates in due course. Please do not read this as a
> request to rush the submission or hasten the update.
>
> Those translators with 5 or more untranslated messages have missed at
> least one opportunity to update the translation - those with 9 have
> missed two and one has missed at least three.

=== 8< ===============================================================

I can update the templates to add the markers and the above paragraphs.

Another change would be to CC or BCC all the translators (or only the
MIA translators) so that they can indicate that they are not MIA.

This could be done by 2 options:
 --mia 50% (--mia 7)
 --bcc-translators / --cc-translators
These options would be valid in "call for translation" mode (--call)

With --bcc-translators, the translators would be specified in the template
header, and the user would be able to remove translators from CC or BCC (as he
will be able to edit the markers in the table).

--bcc-translators / --cc-translators could be combined with --languageteam

> The principle here is that the call goes out to all translators at the
> same time with the same changes made to the POT and PO files so if all
> translators are up to date, all figures should be the same. If changes
> are incremental (as most probably would be), an increasing number of
> missing strings should indicate an increasing number of updates missed
> with those translations having the same number of missing strings having
> missed the same number of opportunities. At the point of calling
> podebconf-report-po, it should be possible to identify these strata.
>
> I guess what I'm thinking of is something like:
>
> $ podebconf-report-po --call --langs=ja,ml,nl
>
> where --langs is interpreted as "assume these langs are untranslated and
> omit them from the stats in the email" - some sort of comment could be
> added to the template. Quite what happens about the old PO file I don't
> know - probably don't want all those being sent to the list. Certainly
> once the number of translated strings reaches zero there would be little
> point worrying about the existing PO file - it could be built into
> podebconf-report-po that if translated == 0 (and all the other
> translations have one or more translated strings), behave as if that
> language has never been translated.

I would prefer to avoid removing a language from the table to avoid a
translator from starting a translation from scratch.

Ideally, the call for translation should mention were the PO could be
retrieved in that case (only the POT is attached to the call for
translation). (I can also add an option for that).

Best Regards,
--
Nekral