Re: Bits from the Debian i18n Meeting (Extremadura 2007)

On Mon, Jan 14, 2008 at 12:01:52PM +0200, Dwayne Bailey wrote:
> > > A good idea but it is restricted to to a fixed license, right? Otherwise
> > > it would be hard to use the compendium if multiple (possibly conflicting
> > > ones) would all apply.
> >
> > The compendium will have a licence, yes, but for translations you use the
> > compedenium (under that licence) to get translations for terms. These
> > translated terms itselfs are not copyrightable.
>
> Its a sticky one.  Since the translations are a derived work I've always
> erred on them being licensed as the code.  Whether such is copyrightable

Why? I know that GPL requires that a derived work has the same license
but other DFSG compatible licenses may not enforce it. Am I wrong?

> I think might depend on your jurisdiction.  But considering that reuse
> is usually pretty low ~10%, that such compendiums would contain
> thousands of example strings from many different authors,  and that
> translators usually still need to review and rework, I don't think it
> would be an issue.

This would be great. Considering the license would be hard work
(separate compendiums, ...).

> At the recent Localisation event in Zagreb.  There was some discussion
> about this issue.  Benjamin Mako Hill offered to take it up and begin
> discussion with GNU to see if they wouldn't release the texts of
> software in the public domain or make some change to address this.

I never liked giving away my Copyright as GNU enforces it ...

Jens