Re: Bits from the Debian i18n Meeting (Extremadura 2007)

On Sat, 2008-01-12 at 03:54 +0100, Holger Levsen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Friday 11 January 2008 22:06, Jens Seidel wrote:
> > >  * Generation of Compendium PO files per-language
> > A good idea but it is restricted to to a fixed license, right? Otherwise
> > it would be hard to use the compendium if multiple (possibly conflicting
> > ones) would all apply.
>
> The compendium will have a licence, yes, but for translations you use the
> compedenium (under that licence) to get translations for terms. These
> translated terms itselfs are not copyrightable.
>
> AFAICS, IANAL and so on :)

Its a sticky one.  Since the translations are a derived work I've always
erred on them being licensed as the code.  Whether such is copyrightable
I think might depend on your jurisdiction.  But considering that reuse
is usually pretty low ~10%, that such compendiums would contain
thousands of example strings from many different authors,  and that
translators usually still need to review and rework, I don't think it
would be an issue.

At the recent Localisation event in Zagreb.  There was some discussion
about this issue.  Benjamin Mako Hill offered to take it up and begin
discussion with GNU to see if they wouldn't release the texts of
software in the public domain or make some change to address this.

--
Dwayne Bailey
Translate.org.za

+27-12-460-1095 (w)