Re: [DDTP] French encoding?

On Tue, Jul 24, 2007 at 12:50:54PM +0200, Michael Bramer wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 24, 2007 at 07:40:26PM +0900, Osamu Aoki wrote:
> > > Sould I change this for de and fr? Or for all languages?
> >
> > I think we should use UTF-8 for all languages.
>
> ok
>
> > Question is "how we migrate to UTF-8 smoothly?"
>
> we don't need a migration. The server use still UTF-8 internal and I
> must only stop the rencode to the other encodings.
>
> And we spoke only about the default encoding. The use can request and
> send the translation in any encoding.

I see.  Then Jens's point comes to my mind.

Most desktop and web application is UTF-8 friendly but e-mail may not
be as much.

Just putting Japanese as follows makes my e-mail to change from ASCII to
ISO-2022-JP before sending data.  (I am in UTF-8 environment and editor
is vim which should be creating file in UTF-8 but mutt should be
converting UTF-8 to ISO2022 when it finds non ASCII character.

Osamu(青木修)