Re: Review in progress for solr debconf templates

On Sat, Sep 15, 2007 at 07:52:39PM +0200, cobaco (aka Bart Cornelis) wrote:
> On Saturday 15 September 2007, Jens Seidel wrote:
> > On Sat, Sep 15, 2007 at 01:57:57PM +0200, Christian Perrier wrote:
> > > Quoting Jens Seidel (jensseidel@users.sf.net):

> > > "This increases the probability for changes to the templates.
> >
> > I would replace s/increases/decreases/ ...
>
> How do you figure that? The review makes changes a near certainty?

Oops, I was indeed confused. I'm also subscribed to debian-l10n-english
and didn't noticed that this mail was sent to -i18n. I just assumed it's
just another of this mails which float around the list and are indented
only for some robots which parse cryptic acronyms such as ITR, ITP, or
however these are called.

There are so many of these mails to announce that something will
sometimes start, that a process will soon stop, that it stopped, ...

To be honest I did not even noticed that Christian's quote was extracted
from the mail. I remembered that I have seen this mail already a few
dozens times and have to skip it ...

At least the message of the text could contain the package name so that
they look a little bit different (once I read a message mutt doesn't
print the subject bold as some other graphical readers do, the subject
is nearly unreadable in this mode).

Who profits from announcements that a package will soon change? Be
honest, can you tell me all the packages announced this way today
without looking into the archive? Unlikely!
There may be some packages one prefers to translate so that a mail
containing this package name gets your attention but it is not likely
that you plan to translate it and change your mind after reading this
message. There are probably many translators who just translate many
packages without maybe even knowing the name of the packages and who do
not profit from such anouncements.

A list somewhere of affected packages would reduce noise on this list
and be more useful.

> > > As usual, this list will be notified when the review has been
> > > completed, opening the opportunity for translators to work on the
> > > templates translations."

Yep, another of such status mails ... Should checked packages have
a higher priority as others? Not for all other packages are requests to
translate so why asking only for some?

> > "Translators, as the debconf templates of the package XXX were revised it
> > is a good idea to update current translations and to provide new ones.
>
> ah, there's the crux of the matter 'were revised' above is exactly wrong
> it's 'will be revised'

Right, I was again confused by the last paragraph which mentions that
another mail will be sent later after the review finished.

> -> hence the need to hold of on translations untill the review is done and
> the english strings have stabilized again (after which a call for
> translations will be sent out)

Right, now it makes sense! Thanks.

Nevertheless it doesn't reduce the noise on the lists but I'm free to
unsubscribe from a few :-)

> once you've read 1 of these mails the subject tells you anything you need to
> know, namely:
>  "hold of on translating package X, as the english strings in it are being
> revised"

Right! Only the little subject from the whole mail matters so I would
prefer to see this little information somewhere else.

Jens