Re: Review in progress for solr debconf templates

Hello,
On Sat, Sep 15, 2007 at 02:50:06PM +0200, Jens Seidel wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 15, 2007 at 01:57:57PM +0200, Christian Perrier wrote:
> > Quoting Jens Seidel (jensseidel@users.sf.net):
> > > Hi Christian,

> > > can you please explain why you send such boring messages to this list?
> > > It is OK to send these to the maintainer of the affected package.
> >
> > "This increases the probability for changes to the templates.
>
> I would replace s/increases/decreases/ ...

No, increase is correct. Christian now posts them to
debian-l10n-english, where a review might update many strings.

> > As a consequence, translation work on this package's templates
> > is discouraged. It would even make the reviewer work more complicated.
>
> Agreed! But an external status site (which I would ignore) would have
> the same affect.

Please see my recent question about this topic on this list. There is
such a status page already, and I'll see to get that included in the
German status as well, then I could also safly skip these messages.

> > As usual, this list will be notified when the review has been
> > completed, opening the opportunity for translators to work on the
> > templates translations."
>
> Maybe it would be a good idea to rephrase this mail and to explicitely
> ask for translations?

No, Christian will ask for translations once the review is completed,
before it does not make much sense (see above).

> To be honest I miss some individual touch in most mails. I tend to
> ignore more and more of automatically created mails.

These automatic mails are more for robots to read, less for humans.

> > May I add that these message were sent *on request of some
> > contributors of the GERMAN transation team* (namely, Helge, who
> > suggested that notifying all Debian translators could be a good idea).
>
> I do not remember his mail ...

Well, I probably asked that in a side sentence some time back, but I
do not remember the details either. But given that the rebots read
debian-l10n-english, I don't know how valuable these mails to this
list are. People activly working on completing their Debconf
translation probably have to watch the status page for
debian-l10n-english more closely.

So if more people are against these mails, I wouldn't mind loosing
them.

Greetings

             Helge