Version numbers for translations (was: Re: debconf PO translations for the package pam

On 01/09/2007, at 4:01 PM, Christian Perrier wrote:

Project-Id-Version: PACKAGE VERSION\n"

What's the project version?

These headers aren't very important to me, but to answer your question, this
translation is for pam 0.99.7.1-4 (and above).

The policy I personnally use is to put the source package name
there...without the version.

Using the version is, imho, not really useful as there's nothing to
tell us that having foo-1 while the package foo is at version 2 means
that the translation is outdated.

Indeed, there is, in Debian debconf translation infrastructure,
nothing that uses the contents of "Project-Id-Version". I don't really
know what is the use of that field in other projects.

I have requested developers include the version in update mails, for two reasons:

1. It means we can keep track of which version we have translated. For example, I can easily see if I have translated squid-x.x.x by scanning my debconf dir. ALL my debconf files (and hundreds of other translations) are named "vi.po". I need the package name to differentiate them, and the version name to show which version of that package I have translated.

The date is not enough. We don't know when versions have been published, nor is the developer necessarily immediately familiar with the PO Creation Date. So versions are very often a quicker and more effective delimiter.

I have also encountered Debian translations outside the Debian project (e.g. iso-codes at the TP). It is much more useful to be able to say, "I've translated iso_3166-1.3 at the TP, is that the current version?" when talking to the iso-codes maintainers, than to say, "I have an iso_3166 file with a creation date of XXX, is that the current version?"

I haven't received any email (initial or responding) from developers in which they refer to the PO creation date. They all use the version number.

Version numbers are also important in building and testing translations. ("I built version XXX last night, but it failed with this error message...", "I have two testing versions running concurrently, XXX and YYY.") PO creation dates are not useful in these situations.

2. The template for submitting translations to the BTS requests the package version number.

So please continue to quote the package version number in the update email subject line. :)