Re: msgmerge --previous option vs. diff output

On 26/07/2007, at 3:33 AM, Javier Fernández-Sanguino Peña wrote:

On Wed, Jul 25, 2007 at 10:23:01AM +0200, Jens Seidel wrote:
On Wed, Jul 25, 2007 at 07:49:37AM +0200, Christian Perrier wrote:
Be careful: some of these templates use variables. Formerly, the
variable was ${SECURITY_HOST}  and it has been modified to
${HOST}. You should notice this as D-I PO files now use gettext's
"--previous" option.

--previous is helpful but for really large msgid's it's useless. I
would rather prefer if --previous creates a patch format to compare
the old and new format ...

It would be great if the patch format was wdiff, diff is rather useless as it will only point you to changed lines so for *small* msgid's diff is useless and for large msgids it only points you to the changed line (which is good,
but not sufficient).

My favourite offline translation editor, LocFactoryEditor [1], supports --previous and diffs by word. It's a big time-saver, so I'm very grateful to those developers using --previous (and of course, to Mike Butler who crafts LFE). :)

He also put in syntax highlighting, which has (just) saved my sanity while working with OpenOffice.org Help files. I swear, that project is shredding my brain.

[1] Available for OSX only, unfortunately.