Re: msgmerge --previous option vs. diff output

On Wed, Jul 25, 2007 at 10:23:01AM +0200, Jens Seidel wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 25, 2007 at 07:49:37AM +0200, Christian Perrier wrote:
> > Be careful: some of these templates use variables. Formerly, the
> > variable was ${SECURITY_HOST}  and it has been modified to
> > ${HOST}. You should notice this as D-I PO files now use gettext's
> > "--previous" option.
>
> --previous is helpful but for really large msgid's it's useless. I
> would rather prefer if --previous creates a patch format to compare
> the old and new format ...

It would be great if the patch format was wdiff, diff is rather useless as it
will only point you to changed lines so for *small* msgid's diff is useless
and for large msgids it only points you to the changed line (which is good,
but not sufficient).

Regards

Javier