Re: DDTP: Please remove pl_PL and merge it with pl

On Sun, Jul 15, 2007 at 12:24:14PM +0200, Jens Seidel wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 14, 2007 at 08:17:47PM -0500, Ming Hua wrote:
> >
> > Of course, I didn't suggest to drop them.  I've now downloaded the
> > Translation-zh file and found out that they are all simplified (zh_CN)
> > translations, so should be merged into zh_CN.  I'll do this via email
> > interface in the following days (I need to learn using DDTP), and it's
> > safe to turn off accepting zh translations now.
>
> It's not difficult but could nevertheless require a few hours of work:
> Obtain the current zh_CN translation via a subject line
>  GET <package name> zh_CN.UTF-8
> Wait for the mail and decide wether the zh_CN or zh translation should
> be used (or merge both). Copy the translation into the proper mail
> attachment part and send it back to pdesc@ddtp.debian.net. That's all.
> (You can send multiple messages back at once, but test with a single one
> first.)

Yes, you can send a lot of translations in one mail.

> > > Please note that this is done
> > > by the Debian website, there is only a single translation but multiple
> > > output encodings!?
> >
> > I know for website translation, zh_CN and zh_TW pages are generated from
> > a single source file.  However, it's not exactly a single translation,
> > the source wml file supports the grammar "[CN:foo][HKTW:bar]", so that
> > the generated page will use "foo" for zh_CN html and "bar" for zh_TW
> > html.  It's quite a maintenance hassle.
>
> > So you see, generating both zh_CN and zh_TW translations from a single
> > source is not really ideal.  IMHO the maintenance hassle, as well as
> > the suboptimal results, is one of the reason that Chinese website
> > translations have been stagnant these years.
>
> Thanks for the explanation. Nevertheless using an already translated
> description into zh_TW as default template for zh_CN would be useful,
> right? Same for pt and pt_BR.
>
> Michael, could you implement this? I also suggest to assume that the

I can, but...

pt/pt_BR don't like this...

I ask some pt_BR translators in the past and they don't like this.
Or is this changed?

> user always requests UTF-8 encodings if he didn't explicitely specified
> the encoding. So please always send "Description-<lang>.<encoding>:"
> messages, where <encoding> defaults to UTF-8. Thanks.

Ok, I can do this. comments?

Gruss
Grisu
--
Michael Bramer  -   http://www.feuerwehr.kreuzau.de/wiki/
"Ich habe es NICHT getestet, weil ich gar nicht weiß, wie man das