Re: (forw) Google Summer of Code 2007 - mentors and project ideas wanted

On Sun, Mar 18, 2007 at 05:36:52PM +0000, Steve McIntyre wrote:
> In article <[🔎] 20070318172913.GA27381@pluto.sol.de> you write:
> >Once the new i18n server is up and running it should be as simple as
> >adding a new debhelper tool which downloads new translations at build
> >time. This requires no action of the maintainer except the initial
> >modifications.
> >
> >Or does the policy forbid such steps (downloads, ...) during package
> >builds?
>
> It's fairly heavily frowned upon; it might mean that different
> architectures get different translations (for example), and we really
> don't want that happening.

That's a very good argument. But there are nevertheless solutions to
this: It would be possible to use the package version as argument to the
helper script. The first call during a package build on a architecture
could save the translation files <==> package version mapping and
further requests return the saved files.

Do you have other arguments? I think a way to automate translation
updates could simplify the necessary steps for maintainers which is a
good thing ...

Jens