Re: (forw) Google Summer of Code 2007 - mentors and project ideas wanted

On Fri, Mar 09, 2007 at 03:14:37PM +0100, Jens Seidel wrote:
> Why not automate it? Whenever a new package is build (maybe only on the
> autobilders?) a debhelper tool could request all translations from the
> i18n server and update existing ones. This makes at least for native
> Debian strings (debconf templates) sense. For other upstream messages a
> specified action could be choosen such as sending a mail, a commit to a
> version control system, ...

Are we talking about DDTP stuff or about all i18n/l10n stuff in a package. If
we are talking about DDTP stuff the solution is easy: don't distribute
translations of descriptions in the packages, just generate the
Packages-${ISO_Code}.gz files based on the latest Packages.gz file and the
translations available in a central repository.

No bug submitting required, no maintainer intervention required, no need to
ulaod new packages when translations are submitted (which is what currently
delays po-debconf translations and makes it impossible to provide new
translations or translation updates post-release). All that translators have
to do is to update the translations in the central location and have it
generate the Packages-XX.gz files which are later (again, automatically) sent
to the master mirror server for redistribution.

Regards

Javier