Re: [Fwd: Licensing of translation work [Was: Problemas de rosetta]]

Please note my disclaimer at http://people.debian.org/~mjr/legal/
before acting on any opinions expressed below. IAADD but IANAL.

Clytie Siddall <clytie@riverland.net.au> asked:
> Also, if we have previously assigned copyright for our translations,
> e.g. to the Free Software Foundation, what right has anyone else to
> change that assignation?

None.

> Rosetta has serious access-control and QA issues, [...]
> translations. Not only is Rosetta not doing this, it is also allowing
> existing translations to be damaged. I find this very worrying. :(

If so, is Rosetta derogatory treatment of translations?

> Does assigning copyright to the FSF, for example, prevent others
> relicensing the work? If not, would the GPL afford that protection?

No, and the GPL would, more or less.  As I understand it, the
FSF allows the original holder to relicense too, but that's it.

Hope that helps,
--
MJR/slef
Laux nur mia opinio: vidu http://people.debian.org/~mjr/