Translating package descriptions (was: Re: Summary of Debconf i18n/l10n activities

On 07/06/2006, at 3:57 AM, Felipe Augusto van de Wiel (faw) wrote:

	Hmmm, it depends on how the ftp-master team will deal with that.
There is a working version of DDTP at ddtp.debian.net and the
Translation-* files can be updated, we still need to check impact in
SecureAPT and related mirror/archive issues. Anyway, it should be
possible to keep it up-to-date during the support cycle.

I've seen people on this list mention the package descriptions a few times, but I wasn't sure if we had an integrated approach to translating them yet. Earlier, it sounded like there had been a program to translate them, but it was no longer current in some way.

Can we translate these package descriptions effectively? If so, how do we go about it?

Thanks for your help with this. :)