Re: iso-codes

On 30/11/2006, at 1:53 AM, Alastair McKinstry wrote:

Bruno Haible wrote:
Clytie Siddall wrote:

I'm a little confused about which file is "iso-639-3". I translate
the iso-codes package for Debian and the TP, and it doesn't list such
a file. The listing (ver. 0.55) is:

iso_3166		country names			410 strings
iso_3166_2	        state/province names	3856 strings
iso_4217		currency names			265 strings
iso_639		language names		484 strings

iso_3166_2 is usually only partially-translated, since very few
languages have equivalents for all the state/province names in the
world.

Which file is "iso-639-3", and where do I find it to translate it?

Alastair McKinstry can give you the real answer.

Maybe this PO file was only in the Debian iso-codes and not imported into the TP (precisely because there's often nothing to translate), or something
like that? I don't remember it.

Bruno

Thanks, Bruno. :)

Its a sublist of iso-639, for lesser-used languages. These are languages
you are unlikely
to see Debian packages translated into, for example (medieval dialects,
etc.).

Except for fun, of course. :D

apt in Klingon would be great: "Recommended packages" would be "Install these packages or incur blood vengeance!" You'd need an output module for all the extra intimidating sounds.

Both iso-639-3 and iso-3166-2 raise an interesting issue: whats the best
way for gettext
to handle strings that are unlikely to be translated / need to be
translated? These files
contain lots of such strings, that the translator will probably review
and decide do not
need translating. Two solutions come to mind:
- tools fill in the English version. Messy, as it bloats the .mo files,
but allows easy
monitoring of new strings when the file changes
- add a new comment:
# ,reviewed
etc. for tools to recognise that this string is deliberately left empty.

Is there an existing solution to this problem?

It would be great to have a solution of some kind. Currently, I think files of this type intimate translators with their sheer size, when the actual number of strings likely to be translated is quite small.

Also, it annoys the translator (me, at least ;) ) to see a lot of untranslated strings recorded against your name, when they're not translatable. The file sets you up to fail, and nobody likes that. We need motivation. Positive stats. Praise. Chocolate. <insert comestible of choice>.