Re: Announce of the upcoming NMU for the isoqlog package

> Something like this, yes. But first, he must have downloaded a POT file
> containing translation requests like this:
>
>   msgid "French"
>   msgstr ""
>
> Actually I find such a POT file in
>   http://i18n.debian.net/material/po/unstable/main/i/isoqlog/debian/po/isoqlog_2.2-0.3_templates.pot.gz

No. The list comes from:

Template: isoqlog/main_langfile
Type: select
__Choices: Bulgarian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, English, Finnish, French, German, Italian, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Spanish, Swedish, Turkish
# This is the default choice. Translators may put their own language here
# instead of the default.
# WARNING, please use the ENGLISH name of the language, not the
# translated value
_DefaultChoice: English[ translators, please see comment in PO files]
 Isoqlog has multi language support on reports. You can select the
 preferred language for outputs.

The "__Choices" line there is incorporated into the POT file for
*that* specific package.

That's certainly suboptimal and, in such cases, the maintainer should
use the iso-codes language names rather than use his/her own names and
enfore translation to translators.

However, doing so is a pretty complicated thing to do and I know only
about *one* Debian package that uses such a method to avoid requesting
language names translations. This is namely the "geneweb" package
which....I maintain..:-)

That's awkward, for sure (nothing prevents the maintainer to use wrong
names because (s)he might not know about ISO-639)....but really really
really nothing else can be done at this moment.

PS/ actually, this upload will incorporate a fix for the "Romanian" en
try above, as the maintainer used "Romana", which is blatantly wrong.