Re: Deactivated languages

Pe data de Mar 21 Noi 2006 06:41, Christian Perrier a scris:
> Quoting Christian Perrier (bubulle@debian.org):
> > > During the writing of this mail (offline) it hit me: I wonder if a list
> > > with all the countries each in its own language/languages wouldn't
> > > reduce
> >
> > So, how will you write "India" ? Or "Belgium" ? Or "Switzerland" ?
>
> This was written while coming back from work....by car, so you'll
> excuse the short length of thjat answer.

NP

> Mor eseriously, working on lowering the size impact of translations of
> localechooser is certainly to be done as there is certainly a quite
> low benefit of having "Japan" translated in....Kazakkh.....but, up to

Exactly...

> now no-one gas found the appropriate method for this and especially
> for handling countries with multiple languages, even when restricting
> self to official languages (and that would definitely lead to more
> political problems at some moment....which always happens when dealing
> with that kind of stuff).

I know, I have assisted to those. I think the current approach (ISO codes) is
a good one.

Do you happen to know how much would be saved if the translations of the
countries would be done only for the languages officially spoken in a
country?

--
Regards,
EddyP