Re: Different translations for a single string in debian installer

On 23/10/2006, at 2:31 PM, Christian Perrier wrote:

the Debian Installer uses the string "none" in various packages but only
one translation can be provided for all these:

#: ../partman-basicfilesystems.templates:172 ../base- installer.templates:101
#: ../partman-lvm.templates:19
msgid "none"

Now I noticed that the grammar requires slightly different translations
dependant on the usage. Any way to reach this?

Yes, but breaking the string freeze. Even if it is officially over,
I'd prefer not changing any string unless some *other* thing in D-I
explicitely requires it. I would call that a "soft" string freeze.

To have all these "none" being different msgid's woul dneed to use
brackets to make the difference:

For example

msgid "none[ case 1, none refers to partition ]"

msgid "none[ case 2, non refers to disk ]"

If we can't use msgctxt yet, can't we put the context into the comment fields instead?

Putting context into the msgid field only causes confusion. Too often, translators end up translating it or retaining it, both of which are incorrect, as you said further down.