Re: Work started on Release Notes for Etch

Frans Pop <elendil@planet.nl> (08/10/2006):
> On Saturday 07 October 2006 23:13, Jens Seidel wrote:
> > > Yes, make update-po architecture=foo creates a new PO if it does not
> > > exist. Note that the "architecture=foo" switch doesn't change
> > > anything if you use "bar" instead of "foo", but is needed due to the
> > > very architecture-specific build system of the release-notes.
> >
> > Since the Release Notes are architecture specific I loop about all
> > architectures to create the PO file. After coding I noticed that
> > po4a seems to ignore conditionals, so the loop can maybe removed :-((
>
> Not sure why you thought a loop would be needed. po4a will only extract
> strings for translations, but add back conditions when regenerating the
> sgml file from the po file. The only condition for this to go right is
> that the po file must be up-to-date with the English sgml file when
> generating the sgml file for the translation.
>
> I'd say that no loop should be needed other than the loop that already
> existed to build all different arches for the website.

Indeed, no loop is needed. You only need to specify a random string
as the architecture (even a string that is not an architecture, it doesn't
matter) to build the PO file.
Po4a "ignore" conditionals, i.e. it considers these inclusions as normal
tags such as <em> or <b>, which you have to translate if it is inside a
paragraph (<p> Foo <conditional>bar</conditional> foo. </p>) or which
you won't see in the PO file if it is outside a paragraph
(<conditional> <p> Foo bar foo. </p> </conditional>).

Sorry for not having provided a README file yet, I'm currently very busy.

Cheers,

--
Thomas Huriaux