Re: Work started on Release Notes for Etch

On Tue, Sep 19, 2006 at 05:13:45PM +0200, Thomas Huriaux wrote:
> Frans Pop <elendil@planet.nl> (19/09/2006):
> > On Monday 18 September 2006 16:16, Thomas Huriaux wrote:
> > > I have updated the files for the etch branch:
> > >   http://haydn.debian.org/~thuriaux-guest/po4a/ddp/

I committed a Readme file and a patch against Makefile.common based on
Thomas' work. It is currently nearly untested but I will fix it later if
problems arise. I suggest to save PO or SGML files after major changes
before calling make ...

> > - Is a POT file created anywhere? How would someone start a new
> >   translation? Or does the "update-po" target handle that as well?
>
> Yes, make update-po architecture=foo creates a new PO if it does not
> exist. Note that the "architecture=foo" switch doesn't change anything
> if you use "bar" instead of "foo", but is needed due to the very
> architecture-specific build system of the release-notes.

Since the Release Notes are architecture specific I loop about all
architectures to create the PO file. After coding I noticed that
po4a seems to ignore conditionals, so the loop can maybe removed :-((

> > - Could you add some documentation? Preferably including instructions
> >   how to convert an existing translation to use po4a and how to start
> >   a new translation.
>
> I will do that. Is a README text file OK or would you prefer an HTML
> page (or anything else)?

The current file should be sufficient. I don't think it's necessary to
explain each single step ...

> > This also means that the machine used to build the website will need po4a
> > installed.
>
> Indeed. The version in sarge is too old (most of the debugging of the
> sgml module for the ddp has been done post-sarge). The version in etch
> is ok.

I asked Joey to install it but forgot mentioning the Etch version.

Jens