Re: [translate-pootle] gettext with non-en source language

On Di, 2006-09-26 at 18:03 +0930, Clytie Siddall wrote:
> To: Deb18n
> Cc: TP, Pootle
>
> On 25/09/2006, at 5:49 PM, MJ Ray wrote:
>
> > Question raised on -l10n-esperanto recently: can gettext be used for
> > localising a program with a utf-8 non-English source language?
> > That is,
> > the thing in the _("...") has accents and isn't English.
> >
> > I hope I expressed the question adequately.  The gettext manual
> > seems to
> > stress using English everywhere, so the answer isn't clear to me.  I
> > hope some people with relevant experience are reading -i18n.
>
> MJ, you've had a number of replies to this on Deb18n, and I've copied
> this message to the TP mailing list, where there is a lot of gettext
> expertise.
>
> If gettext isn't doing handling non-English source languages now,
> it's certainly something that would be intended.
>
> I don't know if Pootle has been used with a non-English source
> language yet? Pootle devs?

I am not yet aware of someone using our tools with non-English source
language. The problem with plurals was mentioned on the Debian list. I
think our tools should correctly decode the non-ascii msgids according
the character set in the header, although this is not tested, of course.
I think I have seen some msgids with things like smart quotes which
won't be present in 8 bit character sets. Most tools could probably work
with it without problems.