Re: Work started on Release Notes for Etch

Frans Pop <elendil@planet.nl> (19/09/2006):
> On Monday 18 September 2006 16:16, Thomas Huriaux wrote:
> > No problem, thanks.
> > I have updated the files for the etch branch:
> >   http://haydn.debian.org/~thuriaux-guest/po4a/ddp/
>
> OK. Thanks.
> I must admit that the PO file created by po4a looks a lot more usable than
> the one from po-debiandoc.
>
> A few questions:
> - What is the change in release-notes.en.sgml.diff?
>   I can't see a real change there...

There is an unbreakable space hidden between "loaded." and "In". As this
is not an ascii char, you have to specify the master document's charset
with the -M option of po4a. However, as this char should be a normal
space, it's better to fix the document than to add the charset switch.

> - Is a POT file created anywhere? How would someone start a new
>   translation? Or does the "update-po" target handle that as well?

Yes, make update-po architecture=foo creates a new PO if it does not
exist. Note that the "architecture=foo" switch doesn't change anything
if you use "bar" instead of "foo", but is needed due to the very
architecture-specific build system of the release-notes.

> - Could you add some documentation? Preferably including instructions
>   how to convert an existing translation to use po4a and how to start
>   a new translation.

I will do that. Is a README text file OK or would you prefer an HTML
page (or anything else)?

> I am having second thoughts about the patch to the Makefile. The risk is
> that errors would not be caught in time as they will be lost in the huge
> log for website rebuilds. So, let's try first without that patch.
>
> When that has been done, I guess the best thing to do would be to file a
> wishlist bug report against either debiandoc-sgml or release-notes (not
> sure if this should be treated as a general infrastructure thing or a
> release notes specific one) so that it can be implemented.

OK.

> This also means that the machine used to build the website will need po4a
> installed.

Indeed. The version in sarge is too old (most of the debugging of the
sgml module for the ddp has been done post-sarge). The version in etch
is ok.

Thanks for your comments,

--
Thomas Huriaux