Re: [DDTP]: Script for mass committing of package descriptions using a Translation-<LANG> patch

On 8/13/06, Jens Seidel <jensseidel@users.sf.net> wrote:
 * The larger problem I see is that the description fetched via
   http://ddtp.debian.net/ddt.cgi?desc_id=1&getuntrans=de are not
   up-to-date in contrast to
   http://ddtp.debian.net/ddt.cgi?desc_id=1&language=de.
   The simplest way to get a translation template is using the
   &getuntrans= address but this may be outdated!

After looking at the code I now understand what's going here. It's not
a bug as such, but a consequence of the way the DDTP stores
translations.

The DDTP stores translations at two levels: whole description to whole
translated description, and matching individual paragraphs between the
untranslated and translated descriptions. What you see as the actual
translation is that actual last sent complete translation for that
package, whereas getuntrans assembles the translation out of
individually translated paragraphs. Depending on how updates were sent
to the server, there can be descrepancies.

Now, is this the right thing to do? It depends a bit on what's used to
generate the resulting Translations file. In any case, at some point
these descrepancies need to be flagged and fixed. But in the meantime,
I hope this clarifies the issue.

Have a nice day
--
Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog@gmail.com> http://svana.org/kleptog/