Re: Web frontend to the DDTS open for testing

On Wed, Aug 16, 2006 at 11:26:46PM +0200, Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:
> I thought of all sorts of schemes but I get stuck on a few small points:
>
> 1. What is the goal of these checks?

To have better quality translations. What's the phrase... "given enough
eyeballs, all bugs are shallow". Typos, bad translations, translations that
do not follow common glossaries, etc. are all "bugs".

> 2. How perfect do translations need to be?

As perfect as the *team* translating them wants them to be. Since users
native to the language should be able to enter a team at any point in time,
this actually means "as perfect as the users using the translation wants them
to be"

> Once we've got a decent answer to that we're done.

A translation system cannot (and should not) hinder a translation team that
wants no review process either because they are sloppy or their translators
are great (or there is just one translator in a team). If it does people will
get around it and subvert the system.

Likewise, a translation system should be flexible enough to make it possible
for the translation team to *choose* the best review process for them, some
translations might have stricter review processes maybe because the
coordinator is a nit-picky or maybe because they strive for better
translations, or because some translators are sloppy and they all know it.
If a interface forces a given review process, translation teams are not
comfortable with, they will walk away from it and use their own mechanisms.

This is, of course, from a generic point of view. I'm not asking this be
implemented in the DDTS right now. IIRC, however, this was discussed in
Debconf-MX when we were talking about a common translation system (and should
be there in Christian's notes sent to this mailing list)

Regards

Javier