Re: Well done de l10n team

On 8/16/06, Frans Pop <elendil@planet.nl> wrote:
I'd like to make one comment on that though. I had a quick look yesterday
at your web frontend and took a look at the translation for mutt.
I found one fairly important spelling error and three places where I did
not like the chosen translation (using a translation for a word that is
possibly correct when looking only at the word itself, but makes no real
sense, is very unusual or just ugly in the context).
I submitted a new (IMO significantly improved) translation for mutt.

This may have been an exception, but I rather doubt it. At the very least
a spellcheck should be done for all translated descriptions.

You're right ofcourse. All the descriptions for nl that have been
submitted via this system have been submitted by one person, namely
me. For the first pile of descriptions I sent straight to the DDTS and
they had no possibility of review. The DDTS used to have a review
system built-in. It doesn't anymore, which is one reason why I started
this in the first place.

If you want to be shocked, try the "Recently Sent" list...

In any case, spelling errors are the easiest issue, there are scripts
to spell-check the entire Translation file in one go,

I also don't much like the fact that the translation of the package
descriptions for Dutch is being done without any involvement of the
existing Dutch translation team (at least, I don't remember seeing any
mails about it on the list).

Yeah, my fault. Should probably have done that before sending off a
pile of translations. I figured the debian-i18n list would have been
enough to get people's attention.

I'd very much like to see a more public review process where new/updated
translations are sent to the team list with a reply set to the translator
or something.

Well, there's a couple of ways you can do this. I can arrange for all
emails to the DDTP for forwarded to the list. It would probably be
easier if there was a way to get people to look at it prior to sending
though. Any thoughts?

Have a nice day,
--
Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog@gmail.com> http://svana.org/kleptog/