Re: Web frontend to the DDTS open for testing

On 8/16/06, Christian Perrier <bubulle@debian.org> wrote:
I haven't had a look at all to Martijn work and haven't deeply read
all these threads but doesn't all this make duplicate work with the
plan of managing packages descriptions translations with Pootle, in
the future, as a test case of the integrated i18n infrastructure.

I think it's complementary. The thing is, for more than a year it has
been impossible for translation teams to work on translations of
package descriptions. As a result even the most up-to-date languages
have not got translations for Essential and Priority: required
packages.

Given how close Debian is to a release I considered this troubling. So
when I heard that the email processing server was working again, I
started submitting translations. I found the email interface
cumbersome, so I made a few scripts so I could do it via a web
browser. Then I figured I could allow other people use it too, to get
other languages on track.

This is what we will discuss in Extremadura so I'd better warn about
putting too much energy in an alternate solution (though I perfectly
understand that it's good to have some alternatives that will bring
more ideas for future development).

I perfectly understand that the DDTS will be switched off at some
stage. At that point there will be an alternative available (a Pootle
server AIUI). None of the work being done now is wasted, because all
these translations can simply be transferred to the new system.

I am very encouraged by the latest graphs at http://ddtp.debian.net/ .
For the first time in a while, the lines are going up again...

Have a nice day,
--
Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog@gmail.com> http://svana.org/kleptog/