Re: [translate-pootle] Translations for upcoming Pootle 0.9

Hi Friedel :)

As a long-time Pootle translator, I was very interested in this mail.

On 14/06/2006, at 4:50 AM, F Wolff wrote:

We're preparing for the 0.9 release of Pootle. We would like to release 0.9 with as many translations as possible, but we need to do the release
very soon. We have decided to go ahead with the release, which will
probably be sometime tomorrow (14 June). Updated translations can be
released soon with version 0.9.1.

Several translators have asked for opportunity to update their
translations before we release. This message is therefore sent to the
people who specifically wanted to update these before release (forgive
me if I left someone out), and to the Pootle related mailing lists where
most people interested in translating Pootle is probably subscribed. I
have merged the new pot file and we are hosting a simple Pootle
installation of the upcoming 0.9 release.  Translations that were
reasonably complete before, would now be at about 80% (with less than
200 untranslated words).

There is therefore an opportunity to update the translations for the
eager few who happen to get this message in time before we release the
new version. Other translations can be added shortly in a followup
release. If your language is not listed under the Pootle project, or not yet on Pootle at all, write to the Pootle mailing list: translate- pootle
(at) lists.sourceforge.net.

You can register on the server at
http://mozilla.homelinux.com:8080/
You will not get email to confirm registration on this server - I'll
approve them each by hand, so it might take a while (especially while
I'm sleeping :-)

I suggest, for next time if it's too late for this time, integrating the registration details of the existing Pootle-interface translators from the main Pootle site (or a central list of registration details). That would avoid us having to register again, and wait for confirmation. Since one of our aims is to encourage people to try Pootle, we should really remove as many barriers to use as possible. :)

We might even want to look into a collective registration scheme, like Drupal, where registration details for one Pootle server can also be used to login to other Pootles, if the local admin has enabled that feature. This would make it easier for new participants, and for existing participants to start new projects.

e.g. my login of "clytie" on the main Wordforge server, would become "clytie@wordforge" on other Pootles.

The Drupal site probably explains this much better, and in detail.

http://drupal.org/handbook

You can of course download the po file and translate
it offline using your favourite po editor and upload it later or post to
the mailing list.

Those who want the pot files, they are available at
http://mozilla.homelinux.com:8080/templates/pootle/
Of course translators should check first to see if the translation for
their language has not already been started with.

Please use this opportunity to report any issues with the pot file, your
language's plural settings, Pootle, or anything else,  on the
translate-pootle mailinglist.  We realise that the usability of Pootle
is still not ideal, but with the changes in this version, improving on
these will be much easier than before. Your translations should become
visible in real time on the running server.

I love that feature! :D