Re: L10N howtos? D-I Manual

Thanks for your help, Miroslav. :)

On 06/06/2006, at 12:30 AM, Miroslav Kure wrote:

Before using locales with character sets other than ASCII or latin1,
please consult the appropriate localization HOWTO.
_____________

How is the user to know which HOWTO s/he should consult? Where are
they? Do I need to prepare one for my language?

Well, the user should excercise google when he does not know.
Localization HOWTOs document ways how to localize your system to a
given language. HOWTOs are usually collected at http://www.tldp.org,
but the localization ones are often hosted elsewhere (on a place
specific for a given language -
http://docs.linux.cz/howto/czech-howto/ for Czech).

Ah, so it's not an official Debian document? That isn't really clear in the Manual, if you don't already know about these HOWTOs. There's no actual description or link.

If it simply means info. about using the system in your language, there are a few references available at VNOSS and VietLUG.

If there does not exist any for your language, you could start one if
you want and if you feel it is neccesary to tweak programs to make
them speak / accept input in Vietnamese.

Certainly the LDP lists quite a few of these howtos:

http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/HOWTO-INDEX/other-lang.html

(would it be a good idea to include this link in the D-I Manual at this point? I'll file a bug)

but not for or in Vietnamese. We don't have one definite one, just bits and pieces spread around. I'll see if I can get one done for the LDP.

Hope it helped

Definitely. :)  Thankyou.