Re: locales and IMEs...

Hi Denis, thanks for the reply.

On Wed, May 17, 2006 at 11:35:57PM +0200, Denis Barbier wrote:
> > I'm using an automated install with the debian CD image and a preseed
> > file, so ideally I'd like a way to do this automatically from the
> > install.  Failing that, a shell command which can run
> > non-interactively to install every possible locale will suffice.  Does
> > such a beast exist?
>
> Since locales 2.3.6-2, there is an "All locales" choice when selecting
> locales.  Did you try to set locales/locales_to_be_generated to
> "All locales"?

I guess this isn't an option...  I'm using Sarge (required), with
locales 2.3.2.ds1-22.

> An alternative way which works with any version of the locales package
> is to copy /usr/share/i18n/SUPPORTED into /etc/locale.gen and run
> locale-gen.

I'll give this a shot.  It does appear to work...  :)

> > And while I'm at it, for many languages, it's not enough for the
> > locales to be available.  We'll also need the fonts, and all
> > associated IMEs to be installed.  Is there some magic package I can
> > install to msake all of the IMEs for all of the various languages
> > available without too much of a hastle?  The goal is to set the
> > machines up to use UTF-8 by default, so a UTF-8-capable IME system
> > (like iiimf) is what we'd prefer.
> >
> > Is there an easy way to do this?  If not, is there some list of
> > packages somewhere which will give me what I want?  FWIW, the Red Hat
> > and/or Fedora installers make this very easy, and I'm looking for the
> > same thing on Debian.
>
> This can be achieved with tasksel, for instance run
>   grep-dctrl -n -sTask -FSection l10n /usr/share/tasksel/debian-tasks.desc |\
>       xargs tasksel install

Cool.  Looking over that desc file, I can see this is the way to go.
But I don't seem to have grep-dctrl on the system...  Either this
isn't available with Sarge, or I don't have the right packages
installed to do this.  What packages (if any) provide grep-dctrl?

Thanks again!

--
Derek D. Martin
http://www.pizzashack.org/