Re: locales and IMEs...

On Wed, May 17, 2006 at 03:49:11PM -0400, Derek Martin wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I am installing a test machine, and I was able to install all of the
> locales on the machine manually by running dpkg-reconfigure locales on
> the machine, and selecting all the locales.
>
> This works, but the trouble is, I need to do this on a lot of
> machines, and doing it this way is very tedious and time-consuming.
> We have a lot of international users, and it's important that we be
> able to provide them the ability to use their native language, no
> matter what it may be.
>
> I'm using an automated install with the debian CD image and a preseed
> file, so ideally I'd like a way to do this automatically from the
> install.  Failing that, a shell command which can run
> non-interactively to install every possible locale will suffice.  Does
> such a beast exist?

Since locales 2.3.6-2, there is an "All locales" choice when selecting
locales.  Did you try to set locales/locales_to_be_generated to
"All locales"?
An alternative way which works with any version of the locales package
is to copy /usr/share/i18n/SUPPORTED into /etc/locale.gen and run
locale-gen.

> And while I'm at it, for many languages, it's not enough for the
> locales to be available.  We'll also need the fonts, and all
> associated IMEs to be installed.  Is there some magic package I can
> install to msake all of the IMEs for all of the various languages
> available without too much of a hastle?  The goal is to set the
> machines up to use UTF-8 by default, so a UTF-8-capable IME system
> (like iiimf) is what we'd prefer.
>
> Is there an easy way to do this?  If not, is there some list of
> packages somewhere which will give me what I want?  FWIW, the Red Hat
> and/or Fedora installers make this very easy, and I'm looking for the
> same thing on Debian.

This can be achieved with tasksel, for instance run
  grep-dctrl -n -sTask -FSection l10n /usr/share/tasksel/debian-tasks.desc |\
      xargs tasksel install

Denis