Re: Step 1/4 l10n framework: Import of translatable strings

On Wed, May 17, 2006 at 03:58:44AM +0200, Denis Barbier wrote:
> The last approach is very easy to implement, but looks much
> less flexible than the previous ones.  If we do not need extra
> complexity, I would prefer this one.

I should also have mentioned the 'pull' way.  This was initially
my preferred choice, but I now believe that it will cause too
much trouble, and I forgot to mention it.

So an alternative is to setup spiders to periodically grab
files from upstream SCM.  A good example is d-i status pages[1].
These pages are updated periodically (once a day IIRC), and
translators can grab almost up-to-date files without having to
wonder where the package repository is and how to get files
out of it.  This works very well, and is IMO the most valuable
status page for translators.  But it covers only CVS and
SVN repositories.  Distributed SCM do not fit well with this
scheme.  For instance Christian maintains an l10n branch
for apt, and makes his repository available online so that
Seppy's robot can grab files from there.  Translators work
on these files, but nobody knows if and when this branch
will be merged into mainline.  And if Christian did not do
this job, it could be even harder.
It is likely that if we go this way, we will have to support
any SCM out there, which is one of the reasons why I prefer
the 'push' methods mentioned in the previous mail.

[1] http://people.debian.org/~seppy/d-i/translation-status.html

Denis