Re: Third call for votes for the debian project leader election 2006

On Wednesday 05 April 2006 12:53, JC Helary wrote:
> On 2006/04/05, at 19:27, cobaco (aka Bart Cornelis) wrote:
> > explicitly naming translations as an accepted form of earlier
> > contributions.
>
> Sure, then what would a translator/developer do with full upload
> rights ?

a translator would be doing NM to get one of the other priviliges, most
likely voting rights, and access to debian-private

> Why do full upload rights and votings rights have to be equivalent ?

no particular reason I can see and they're really not, it's just that at the
moment there's no priviligewise subdivision between DD's that maintain
packages and DD's that contribute in other ways and hence the whole
privilige package is either granted or not irrespective of the actual
priviliges needed by a particular DD.

It's undoubtfully a good idea to grant things like uploading rights only to
DD's that actually need it. But as long as it's possible for documentation
writers/translators and the like to become DD's  it's not in itself the
reason why so view pure/mostly non-maintainer contributors never go to the
trouble of applying for NM.
--
Cheers, cobaco (aka Bart Cornelis)