Re: Should nonbreakable space belong to whitespace class?

On 24/02/2006, at 4:30 AM, Miroslav Kure wrote:

recently I spent desperate hour debugging

ouch :(

one script which I use for
extracting some information from Debian web pages and which suddenly
stopped working.

The cause of this problem was really simple -- the affected page
simply started to use nonbreakable spaces instead of ordinary ones.

Nasty. :(  Very hard to pick.

Unfortunately, nonbreakable space is not included in character class
\s or [:space:] (aka whitespace). As it is usually not distinguishable
from the ordinary space in most of the fonts, I would say that
nonbreakable space should be added to the whitespace class in regexp
libraries.

What do our i18n experts think?

I'm no expert, but I've dealt with whitespace in different functions, and I agree. I might bring this up on my text editor list (it has a formidable grep capacity: BBEdit for Mac OSX).