Re: new language process (Quechua): 1st step adding a locale

> This language is Quechua and is spoken by at least half of the people
> in my country (Perú) and people in Bolivia, Ecuador and some in
> Argentina as far as I know. It's the native language people speak here
> before Spanish came. At least in my country is the second official
> language.

This is a wonderful news.....I was expecting people working on
"native" languages of Latin America for a while...and Quechua is
obviously among the first targets (along with some from Mexico...such
as nahuatl).

> I've read Christian's howto about d-i i18n and the new language process
> chapter[0], which was very helpful. I've collected some information
> regarding language information to build a locale, but since I'm not a
> native speaker, unfortunately nor able to speak much of some words,
> and not a locale expert either. I'like to make sure this is done right.
>
> I'm going to ask some native speakers and people that have plenty
> experience on the language to get feedback on the information needed.
> So, finally, my questions are: Do I need to check for something
> else/important than the information a locale needs[1]?
> Second, there are any tools/places where I can get more details about
> building the codes for LC_*?

My own information is personal experience in "building" a locale with
native speakers. It is far from complete but I think that taking a
locale you know well as a reference might be a good idea. This is how
I "wrote" the Malagasy, Wolof and Sanskrit locales....while I don't
read/speak any of these languages (I just had the help by native speakers).

One difficult part is using the funky format used for Unicode
characters in locale files (just look at one).

However, our wonderful Denis Barbier has written two nice script which allow
you to write a locale with standard Unicode characters and convert it
to this "uxx" format.

http://people.debian.org/~bubulle/utf2uxx
http://people.debian.org/~bubulle/uxx2utf