Re: Further queries re. manual vs level 1

On 01/01/2006, at 5:14 AM, Miroslav Kure wrote:

 [me, in conclusion] Are there, in fact,
architecture-specific install programs which I have not yet
translated? If so, where do they fit in the Debian Installer
Translation process?

As they are not part of the Debian,

ah...

you have to contact their authors
and ask them, if they care about translation...
These tools are used in operating systems which are preinstalled on
the machine (e.g. computers from Apple usually come with MacOS ;-)

That's one of the reasons I'm interested, of course, being a Mac OSX user. I also know people who run Debian dual-boot or standalone on Mac machines.

Your Mac info may be a bit out-of-date, I think. Among other things, you need to specify Powerbooks as well as iBooks, and eMacs as well as iMacs, when identifying recent Mac models. It's also been a long time since we've had serial ports, although you could still run Debian on some of those old models. My son is running unstable on my old PowerMac 5500 (using it as a server), which still had two serial ports, although of course he makes much more use of the ethernet port. A Mac model that old even has has a floppy drive.

Some of the "programs" mentioned in the manual are not even proper
programs, but something called firmware, which is untranslatable[*],
but it is necessary for the computer to start up (e.g. OpenFirmware,
BIOS and such).

Yes, I understand. No long-term Mac user can be unfamiliar with the process of flashing the PRAM: it's when you find out just how far your hands stretch, and how many keys they really can hold down at the same time. :D

[*] Considering you are probably not much familiar with editing binary
    files with hexa editors and flashing eproms.

Not very. I date from a much older programming age, and I'm no longer able to access those skills, due to brain damage (corrupted personal disk ;) ).