Re: Do GDM and/or initscripts have a problem?

> Actually gdm should be bugged, and already is see #265101. As far as I'm
> concerned, it should source /etc/environment (that's where the installation
> system will drop the default system locale for logins) but the maintainer is
> against it (see #265101 or a previous, closed, bug #133578 or, even,
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-glibc/2004/debian-glibc-200401/msg00278.html).
And this actually is a real big Pain in the ass, I have to say.

Maybe the maintainer of gdm has arguments against a default setting in
/etc/environment, which I respect, but this is currently the bloody
way we use for all other bloody software and gdm is the only piece of
crap that doesn't follow this, dammit.:-)

This forced Konstantinos to do some magic in localization-cofnig just
to avoid a non localized gdm at the end of fully localized installs,
for instance (remind that GDM is what we get by default on Debian installs)
l-c then sets /etc/default/gdm with the appropriate LANG setting....

Imagine if all software do the same thing....:-|

> PS: The bottom line is that we need consensus on how the language should be
> set system-wide, some are against using /etc/environment as they say it's PAM
> specific but other distributions (like Red Hat) use a global configuration
> file for all the localisation in the system, including initscripts.

Up to now, it seems that the unwritten consensus is using
/etc/environment. First of all, because this is what do the locales
and belocs-locales packages when keeping information of a default
locale.