Some help with po/pot files

Hi all,

Two things I am unsure of regarding the translation process which are
quite vital:

1) How do I keep the .po file in sync with the .pot file? To remove
redundant strings and add new ones? Is there a tool to merge them
somewhere?

2) Is there a nice way to split a .po file into several chunks?
level1-po is big, and it'd be nice to be able to have many people
working on it at the same time. This is something I really need to know
before I start approaching local LUGs for translation help.

With regards,

--
David Steinn Geirsson
Reykjavik, Iceland