Re: Some help with po/pot files

On Wed, Sep 14, 2005 at 05:06:06PM +0000, David Geirsson wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Two things I am unsure of regarding the translation process which are
> quite vital:
>
> 1) How do I keep the .po file in sync with the .pot file? To remove
> redundant strings and add new ones? Is there a tool to merge them
> somewhere?

msgmerge old.po new.pot >new.po

>From the context it seems you are now concerned about d-i translation
(aka level1). Updating of these .po filee happens "automagically" --
you just commit your current translation to the svn and the nightly
script will merge in the new/changed strings.

> 2) Is there a nice way to split a .po file into several chunks?
> level1-po is big, and it'd be nice to be able to have many people
> working on it at the same time. This is something I really need to know
> before I start approaching local LUGs for translation help.

Well, you can translate individual files from each component and then
merge them together.

--
Miroslav Kure