Re: Again about the KDE/Gnome tasks

Christian Perrier wrote:

This seems to be somethign that our users are requesting in some way
(from the reviews I've seen of sarge and sarge installer).

ACK.

And I am afraid, that this discussion is lost in technical details without targeting usability.

tasksel should reflect the hierarchical structure of tasks, e.g.

desktop
  - Gnome
  - KDE
    - internet
      - mail
        - kmail
        - thunderbird
      - web
        - mozilla
        - konqueror
    - office
      - koffice
      - Ooffice
      - Goffice
    - games
    - multimedia
  - others

The user should than be able to choose between
- minimum
- default
- all
- customized
at each node of the tree, ideally by clicking on checkboxes.

E.g. I would choose
desktop -> customized
   KDM
   Gnome -> default
   KDE   -> customized
       lang   -> en, de, it, es
       Games  -> minimum (= no games)
       Office -> customize
          koffice -> all
          Ooffice -> all
          Goffice -> all

Isn't this the usual way 'other' environments (Suse, Fedora, Win ...) provide?

Obviously the time is too short until release of etch.

More or less all "advanced users" are requesting for it: these users
know what is the difference between the two major desktop environments
and allowing them to choose among both is worth it. Most of them rant
about the disk space "wasting" done by installing all the stuff.

- waste of human installation time
- waste of human time to remove packages afterwards
  (e.g. the games in my case)
- waste of human time to search packages, install, reconfigure
- waste of network resources

When it comes at low skilled users, we actually choose for them
anyway: the graphical display manager by default is GDM...and default
sessions are Gnome sessions. So, from the end user point of view,
Debian installs Gnome..:-)

IMHO KDE is more convenient for low skilled users.

Helmut Wollmersdorfer