Re: How to update a po file collection when upstream also change them

On Wed, Aug 24, 2005 at 07:44:04AM +0200, Christian Perrier wrote:

> But, in general, this enforces my current opinion: we (Debian
> translators) should not work on upstream translations, inside
> Debian. When it's needed, because translations are obviously of poor
> quality, then we can make an exception and, *after agreement with the
> Debian package maintainer* include the new software in the WTT.

From experience, as Debian maintainers that don't speak the
language you translate to have no way to assess the quality of
the translation, maintainers will usually stick with the upstream version
since that means less hassle for them when new versions are released.

It's rather hard to convince a Debian maintainer to user _your_ translation
since we (translators) don't have any "credentials" to show up [1] and have no
way to demonstrate that our translation is better than the one the program is
currently carrying (we can demonstrate it internally within our translation
team but not to somebody that does not speak our language natively).

Regards

Javier

[1] You can, of course, tell the maintainer you are "the head of the
translation team for language X" but unless he knows of you beforehand you
might as well tell him you are "God almighty", he does not have any
reason to believe you based on a patch (!=e-mail) sent through the BTS.
If you have bugged him consistently for quite some time (months even)
with translations updates then he knows you already so the above
will not apply.