Re: [PROPOSAL] tasksel: improve and enhance language tasks

Christian Perrier wrote:
> I'm afraid I fail to understand this. Up to now, I've not seen the new
> tasksel (with splitted KDE/Gnome) in action, so that's probably why I
> can't really figure out.
>
> I saw the new changes as the longstanding request (which you were not
> fond of) to offer choice between KDE and Gnomeas a kind of
> "additionnal" tasks to the "base" desktop task.
>
> Your explanations seem to imply that this doesn't actually work that
> way and thus users still do not have the choice between
> KDE/Gnome/Both. Am I right?

That's right, the kde and gnome tasks are hidden and any of them that
are available are pulled in when the desktop task is selected.

> But, anyway, wouldn't splitting the language-desktop tasks also make
> easier to drop tasks so that they fit on a CD (or help CDDs in the
> same manner ?

The technical reason for the separation is that certian packages need to
be listed as Key for gnome and others Key for kde, and so this meant you
had to have both sets on a CD for the desktop task to be availably. With
the separation a CD can contain only kde or only gnome and the task will
be available and only install one of the environments. This probably
doesn't apply to any of the language tasks.

> > It's still optional priority. Does something pull it in during an
> > install?
>
> aspell-* will pull in apell itself, which has the following
> dependencies:
>
> Depends: libaspell15 (>= 0.60), libc6 (>= 2.3.2.ds1-21), libgcc1 (>= 1:4.0.1), libncursesw5 (>= 5.4-5), libstdc++6 (>= 4.0.1), libaspell15 (= 0.60.3-5), dictionaries-common (>> 0.40)
>
> Some language tasks already include aspell-xx dictionaries, btw.

Yes I saw that, but AFAIK aspell is still not included in an English
install by default.

> OTOH, one cas consider that both Gnome and KDE (the desktops which
> *will* be chosen by low-skilled users) already have their "standard"
> MUA and we don't need to provide another one by default.

Right.

> If we don't provide Thunderbird, we should then remove the
> mozilla-thunderbird-l10n packages from the language tasks.

Sure.

--
see shy jo