Re: Need for help in handling l10n for several packages

> So, I'd like to offer this task to some of my fellow translator
> colleagues.
>
> For this, you need to:
>
> -have a very good knowledge of l10n issues in general and the use of
>  gettext tools (msgmerge, msgcat, etc)

still have to work a little in that field

> -have a good practice of CVS or SVN
>
> -have an Alioth account..:-)
>
> -subscribe to the package tracking system for the relevant packages
>  (http://packages.qa.debian.org/)
>
> -have a correct knowledge of the bug tracking system (manipulating bugs by
>  mail, know about tags....)
>
> -follow the package status with regards to l10n and be able to discuss
>  and help the maintainer
>
> That sounds to be a lot of skills, but actually several translators
> fit this description..:-)
>
> The relevant packages are:
>
> -debconf
> -console-data (to be replaced by kbd for etch)
> -iso-codes
> -aptitude
> -console-common (maybe not needed)
> -localization-config (its maintainer can handle the very small l10n,
>  though)
> -popularity-contest
> -pppconfig (no access no commits, but helping the maintainer is needed)
> -xdebconfigurator (very small work)
> -discover1 (low activity)
> -menu (Bill can handle it well alone, though)
>
> I currently keep shadow (for which I'm the maintainer) and dpkg/apt
> (they're maintained with arch, which makes the transition less easy to
> do as there's an important learning curve for using tla or baz).
>
> So, please send me "candidatures" and I'll assist you in the
> transition. Dennis Stampfer already has such access so if he wants to
> take some over, he will get priority. But don't be shy for that
> reason..:-)

I am willing to do this, but currently my access  to CVS/SVN is
restricted; if nobody shows up, and I will have net in the apartment I
will move next month (there is a big chance, but the things might work
slowly), then I will take this task; this fits quite well with the
dpkg one, also.

I am ok with other VMS, also :)

I will have a definite answer in at most 3 weeks.

--
Regards,
EddyP