Re: Sarge Release Notes - Call to update translations

Hello Martin,

Thank you for the suggestion. I know that a lot of translators prefer
working from PO files over editing the raw SGML/XML files.

On Tuesday 17 May 2005 23:52, Martin Quinson wrote:
> Note that po4a can be used to translate with gettext-based approach
> documents both in docbook xml and debiandoc sgml (amongst other).

I am myself currently using debiandoc2pot and po2debiandoc (from the
po-debiandoc package) for the Dutch translation of the Release Notes,
which works very well. The same goes for the French translator.

> If it doesn't work out of the box, please report it and I'll do my best
> to help.

I did give po4a a try for the Debian Installer Manual a while back and was
not very happy with the results. Basically I felt that text was broken up
too much into different strings (at tags). For the manual we therefore
decided to use the poxml tools instead.
I suspect the same may be true for the Release Notes.

When things have quietend down (after the release probably) I'll take some
time to put some examples together and file a wishlist report for po4a.
/me puts this in his TODO.

If you would like to take a look yourself at how the files from the
competing toolsets look, they can be found at:
-http://cvs.debian.org/ddp/manuals.sgml/release-notes/fr/?cvsroot=debian-doc
-http://svn.debian.org/wsvn/d-i/trunk/installer/doc/manual/po/pot/?rev=0&sc=0

Cheers,
FJP