filenames in aptitude and translation of docs

Hi everybody :)

1. Scrambling on my knees and elbows through the jungle of strings in Aptitude, I've come across a few filenames. Since there are some variables supplied as entire strings, which we should not translate, I wondered about the filenames. Here are a couple:

po:618
reference:	⑤	src/ui.cc:672
Original:	⌘0	help.txt

.po:619
reference:	⑤	src/ui.cc:688
Original:	⌘0	README

(Output from LocFactoryEditor, excellent localizer for Mac OSX GUI)

(a) I would be quite happy to translate them if I may, but I need first

(b) to check the display options: can the Debian system display filenames in utf-8? Because those two strings, for example, would become:

po:618
reference:	⑤	src/ui.cc:672
Original:	⌘0	help.txt
Việt:		trợgiúp.txt

.po:619
reference:	⑤	src/ui.cc:688
Original:	⌘0	README
Việt:		ĐỌCTÔI

where at least some of those characters aren't available in Latin-1.

2. This brings up another question which has been hovering in the dusty corners of my mind (gotta clean that thing out one day): we tell the user to see this or that document in order to gain more information (e.g. the files above, the Debian Social Contract, guidelines of one kind or another), but if they're not translated, there is little use in doing so, and in fact we are disempowering the user by saying, "Here's the info you need", and s/he races off to read the info ... only to find it's not translated.

If we haven't yet translated those items in a specific language, would it be OK to put a note in the text, or better still, a link which leads to a page stating which Debian documents have already been translated in your language, which are currently being translated, possibly which translations are planned, and even asking the user to vote for his or her most-want-to-read document, to aid in translating the ones that would do the most good?

I would be willing to manage that for my language.

Thankyou for your patience in reading my posts, and in answering them so helpfully.

from Clytie (vi-VN, team/nhóm Gnome-vi)

Clytie Siddall--Renmark, in the Riverland of South Australia

Ở thành phố Renmark, tại miền sông của Nam Úc