Re: [RANT] French translation for debconf templates stucked at 90% : analysis

Marc Haber <mh+debian-devel@zugschlus.de> schrieb:

> On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 13:36:18 +0200, Marco d'Itri <md@Linux.IT> wrote:
>>On Jun 27, Petter Reinholdtsen <pere@hungry.com> wrote:
>>> Translations need testing too.  They need to be exposed to users, to
>>Translations should be reviewed by the language translation team before
>>uploading, so they are supposed to have a decent quality level anyway.
>
> Being a German native speaker, I write everything in English.

Me, too. Except that I sometimes also provide my own german
translations.

> Usually, I am not impressed by the translations because they usually
> feel clumsy and awkward to me, as if I were explaining the things to a
> child.

I can't tell generally. I don't even know how to make dpkg/debconf speak
german, and I must say I am quite happy with this ignorance.

Probably that's part of the problem with i18n.

Regards, Frank

Abt. Biophysikalische Chemie