Re: What other packages should be translated to get all of install in local language?

On Sun, Jan 18, 2004 at 07:51:43PM +0200, Tapio Lehtonen wrote:

> Have other translation teams already listed what other packages should
> be translated and how much work is involved in getting all of the
> installation in the local language?

Notice that translation of installation is not the same as having the
system "translated" (since this last step includes programs and available
documentation, specially manpages). Regarding installation you really have
just a "few" things:

a) d-i, which you already have I believe
b) programs used through installation (after d-i) which includes
base-config, tasksel and dselect
c) programs installed depending on users' selections which is equivalent to
the full distribution!

Regarding c) translation teams should probably focus first on packages that
use debconf that the average user will most probably see, this means
packages of 'base' and 'standard' priority along with some other packages
of 'optional' priority packages which are very common (apache, samba,
gdm, hotplug...)

If you want to know what 'common' is the only resource currently available
is the popularity contest [1], I've recently developed a script to take the
central statistics of po files (and debconf stuff) [2] and provide a
status summary based on those _and_ the popcon data. If anyone is
interested please ask, I would like to have that kind of integrated in the
statistics monitor but I don't have the time to do that atm.

Regards

Javi

PS: I think we _do_ a detailed document regarding l10n/i18n in Debian and
how translation teams should coordinate it and get started ... if only I
had more time...

[1]  http://people.debian.org/~apenwarr/popcon/all-popcon-results.txt.gz
[2] http://www.debian.org/international/l10n/