Re: Coordination of translations via debian-l10n-* lists

On Sun, Jan 18, 2004 at 07:20:30AM +0100, Nicolas Bertolissio wrote:

> please, correct me if I'm wrong, but what I understand from your method
> is: there is no single person responsible for one translation, everbody
> can translate the same file (cvs can merge translations).

Indeed.

> if this is true:
> what do you do when people disagree on one translation?
> how do you decide which translation is kept in the cvs?

As I have already mentioned, all the commit go into the list for
peer-review. Until now, we had about four or five discussions considering
which option to choose and had no decision problems. It is taken for
granted, that if there are no objections, that everyone agrees. This
variant is then taken over into the dictionary. The dictionary itself
could be updated, which would lead to one more cycle of files' review,
grep is our good friend there.

BTW, I'm not claiming this model is perfect :)

> with the French and Dutch model, one person is responsible for one
> translation and so this person decides.
That's what I see as a problem - whenever this one person has something
else to do, like exams, holidays or just a bad/good day(s), when he/she doesn't
want to see anything computer-like, the translation stucks.

--
Nikolai Prokoschenko
nikolai@prokoschenko.de / Jabber: pronik@jabber.org