Infrastructure again

On Mon, May 17, 2004 at 05:11:15PM +0300, Recai Oktas wrote:
> * Javier Fernández-Sanguino Peña [2004-05-17 15:41:29+0200]
> [...]
> > Would you mind including program translations if available? (I'm refering
> > to #248516, #247084 and #248957). Notice that #248516 is already in
> > upstream's CVS and it would be a shame to lose that in the next Debian
> > stable.
>
> Also don't forget the Turkish program translation: #243686 (waiting for
> more than a month).  I still can't understand why it is so difficult to
> close this bug.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Debian translation ;)

Seriously, such problems confirm the high need for an robust and easily
system to manage translations from the packager point of view.

First issue: getting all existing translation and asking for new ones
Needed tool:
 - a server acting as gateway to a svn-like repository
 - a way for packager to express wich parts are to be translated and how
 - a bunch of interface scripts

Second issue: rebuilding a new package may introduce subtle dependency issues
Needed tool: a tool taking:
 - a binary package already compiled (the one in testing)
 - a source tree
 and producing another binary pkg with the content of the previous one, but:
 - l10n material (from source tree)
 - changelog
 - md5sum

I'm on it, but any help or advice is welcome.

Mt.